From the outset, Proteak's mission has been to provide consumers and suppliers with top-quality and sustainable plantation wood. Proteak's sustainable forestry practices have earned the distinction of the Forest Stewardship Council’s® (FSC) certification for both Forest Management, for our plantations, and Chain of Custody, for our wood processing facilities. Proteak currently manages six certificates in Colombia, Costa Rica, Mexico and the U.S.A. abiding by the highest sustainable forestry standards.
Furthermore, we continue with our commitment towards the environment and society by observing the International Finance Corporation’s (IFC) Environmental and Social Action Plan. The IFC is a member of the World Bank Group.
Proteak’s sustainable achievements can be listed as follows:
- Development of an Environmental, Social and Workplace Security and Hygiene Policy
- Implementation of protection and monitoring actions for plants and animals in areas considered High Conservation Value Forests within plantations in Mexico and Costa Rica.
- Conservation of more than 2,380 hectares of forests within our plantations. In Mexico, our efforts protect 78 plant species and 90 animal species, including the Yellow-headed Parrot (Amazona oratrix), the Keeled-billed Toucan (Ramphastos sulfuratus), the Collared Aracari (Pteroglossus torquatus) and the Mantled Howler Monkey (Alouatta palliata), all catalogued as having a threatened conservation status according to Red List issued by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. In Costa Rica, we protect 26 plant species, including 8 severely threatened tree species, and 110 animal species.
- Development of an Environmental Impact Assessment to determine whether Proteak’s activity has a negative impact on the environment. The assessment’s conclusion is that Proteak has a positive impact in surrounding areas.
- More than 10,700 FSC certified hectares.
- Annual capture of 387,906 tons of carbon dioxide in a 20 year period.
At Proteak, we are proud of our products and our values. For more information, feel free to download Proteak’s Public Summary of our Plantation Management Plans for Mexico and Costa Rica, the Public Summary for our Monitoring Plans in Mexico and Costa Rica and our Public Declaration. You may also consult relevant articles in environmental matters.